Plans for a phased reopening
It’s been all hands to the pump at Gallery Oldham over the last two weeks! And we are now preparing to reopen after disruption caused by a flood in the building. The exhibitions will remain closed until 24 March although we will restart some activities in the run up to this date.
Staff opening the gallery early on Monday 5 March discovered that there had been a flood affecting all of the East side of the building. This included one of the gallery spaces, a store room, The Naked Bean Café and basement.
Staff immediately raised the alarm and jumped into emergency response mode to work together to save the collections and building with assistance from the emergency services, Oldham Council First Response, Oldham Library and their facilities management team.
The Gallery was able to call on help from professionals across the north including staff from other galleries and a number of specialist conservators. We would like to say a big thank you to everyone who has provided their assistance and supported us during this time. We have been commended for our fast and appropriate actions to stabilise the collections and are pleased to report that nothing has been irreparably damaged.
A phased reopening will begin from Saturday 24 March with the opening of two gallery spaces and there is a bumper programme of events planned for the Easter holidays. From 24 March there will be a new exhibition in the Gallery 2 ‘Natural History (a fable of progress)’ as well as a new exhibition in the Community Gallery looking at the development of the new Cottam Street Park.
We hope that the Naked Bean café and the remaining gallery space will open soon after. Please keep checking the Gallery Oldham website for details.
Important access announcement
Unfortunately for the next few weeks there will be no lift in operation at the Gallery. We will keep our website updated with full details of our accessibility.
Update on Gallery Oldham Events:
- The exhibition ‘Natural History (a fable of progress)’ was due to open on 10 March and will now be officially opened on 24 March.
- Unfortunately the touring exhibition ‘On Paper’ which was due to open on 17th March opening has been cancelled. We hope that it may be rescheduled to visit Oldham later in its tour.
- Our popular sessions for the little ones – Go Babies and Go Explorers – will start again from next week. Go Babies on Thursday 22 and Go Explorers on Friday 23
- The display accompanying the BBC Civilisations series remains open in the Gallery foyer. To support this exhibition there are free craft sessions on 17 March (ceramics workshop) and 24 March (printmaking)
- The Oldham Suffragettes & Suffragists Gallery Talk that was scheduled for Thursday 8th March had to be postponed. It will now take place on 20 June.